Monday, September 2, 2019

Brugmansia House Makeover!!

Last winter I noticed that the PCV connectors that were glued were starting
to crack so I knew this summer I would need to redo some of the house before
putting the Brugs away for the winter months.  So a few weeks ago we unloaded
the plants that were still inside and found them safe places.









































All the eppie cactus had to come down and put in an area that wouldn't get
much sun or they would fry.  Not a safe place but it had to do for a while.




















While the back roof was off it was time to decide if a foot could be added to
the frame  and to remove the area that was cracked and broken.  I also broke down
the shelf  made from PVC just in case I needed the room.

Earlier this spring I had found a company that did carport connectors in metal so I
thought these would work great for our use.  These were ordered and arrived so I sprayed
them with a clear coat of paint to prevent rusting.

















I laid out the cut PVC so I knew what was available and went to putting the pipe
in place one section at a time.   After repairing the back corners and adding a new section
of pipe to the NE corner I could see this was going to be fun!!




















East section done and the new metal connectors in place! Time
to work on the west side, add a foot and put in the metal connectors.

















Next was the roof and figuring out the how to add the support to
the east side instead of adding it after the fact.  The metal connectors
would make the roof to high so I went back to the PVC connectors.
Here is a close up of the metal connector so you can see it.  With is we
just added a goo 9 inches in height to the sides.




















With the frame completed it was time to rehang all the eppies for the 
next few weeks.  In a few weeks it will be time to cover it all in plastic 
for the winter months.

September 21
We put the bottom plastic up and boy was that fun!!
 One large piece to wrap all around and you have to unfold while doing so.  Then tape the top to the top pipe with the folding of the bottom up under the lower pipe.












After taping the top I then hang the hanging eppie baskets to the top pipe to hold the plastic in place.  After enlarging the house to a 11 X 12 foot size, I hope to get all the plants in there this year.  The greenhouse is almost full now.  I really need another kit greenhouse so hopefully that can be done before I have to change plastic again.

Hopefully on Monday I can get the top on.




Sunday it rained so we had a rain delay, which was nice as I had a garden tour with a few nice
gardening folks.  We hope to have the gardens all cut back by the 1st of Oct. so we can deal with what drops of blows in from neighboring trees.   Our gardens close for the season on the 1st also.



No comments:

Post a Comment