Sunday, October 11, 2020

Our Abutilon Collection

Several years ago I came across an 
Abutilon also know as a Flower Maple
at a nursery.  I bought it as I thought
it would be something would enjoy.  
Then my husband has an appt. at 
a new eye Dr. office and they had 
several in their office.  I was at awe
of them there and it really peaked 
my attention.  Then an online garden
friend sent me seeds of them and 
told me to try them.  I was hooked
but I couldn't find informations to
help me learn more about them.  

These are in the Malvaceae
family and are considered evergreen
shrubs in Zones 8,9,12,-24 H1, H-2.
Partial Shade in hottest climates.
Moderate to regular water.

Native to warmer regions of the
world, especially in South America,
Brazil, Arizona, and California.
They are slowly showing up here
in the northern US and can be 
grown outside during the summer
months and they make great house
plants in the winter months!!

In recent years we have been able
to find several different varieties
and our collection has grown.
We are alway looking for ones 
we can add.   This past couple 
years we have been trying our hand 
at hybridizing and look for others 
that would love to test our seeds.  
We will offer a mix selection of
seeds if you would be willing to
grow them and send us photos 
of what you get.

I moved all ours in a couple weeks
ago the smaller ones to the green-
house with the bigger ones to the
spare bedroom.













This past weekend I noticed that the 
leaves on some were starting to drop
so it was time to strip them off and 
see if any stole always came in.  
Smart move as I found a couple 
green worms!

The process is to remove a majority
of the larger leaves and leave the 
smaller ones on.  That way you can
really enjoy the blooms.

A. Huntington Pink seeds.



















A. Souvenir de Bonne














  Our cross of  A. Red Tiger X  A. Smoked Salmon
















More to Come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment