Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Brugmansia or Datura?













 










We like to call these our Brug snobs.  When I 
asked this question most folks will state that 
they are Datura due to their upward bud.  

This cross was done when I was playing with 
both Brugmansia and Datura pollens.  I have three
of these plants that was a Brugmansia X Datura
and according to the data can be done either way.
I used Tissue Culture plants at the time so I knew
that they were better quality of plants than the 
common plants.  When crossing Datura with a 
brugmansia it's best to take the Anthers away before
they open.  As a datura will self pollenate as the 
flower drops.  Open gently pollenate the stigma and 
close back up.  I have also found that the flowers
do not open and bees do not have an interest if the 
anthers are removed.

When doing the Brugmansia X Datura cross, I also
remove the Anthers and make sure the pollen doesn't
touch the stigma.  Cover the stigma and close up the 
Corolla tube.

If you can get a copy of the 1940s crosses made you
will see that the mother of the cross is denominate.  So 
if you cross a Brugmansia X Datura, your plant will 
be more like a Brugmansia not a Datura and vice versa.
You will see signs of the pollen cross.

For those naysayers out there, try the cross before you
judge others.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment