Saturday, June 11, 2022

Hybridizing Datura X Brugmansia

 




















I was asked to explain this cross.   This is our
third attempt to cross a Dature X Brugmansia and
we know crossing variegated can produce albino
seedlings.  I have only had one that was grown
and produced a flower with a seedpod.  Those seeds
did germinate but sad to say none of them survived
the transplant.

There are some that state that this can not be done.
Wrong,  I have the paper work that was shared with
me of the 1940 work by a University back east that
did cross a Brugmansia X Datura and a Datura X
Brugmansia.  After reading the two studies I decided
why not try tissue culture plants?    So I set out to do
the cross with D. Missouri Marble X B. Shorty's 
Variegated.   I had a lot of seeds from the 3 crosses
and share these seeds with folks cross the globe.  
We called then Datmansia.

Last year I as gifted another D. Missouri Marble that
I again crossed with B. Shorty's and the above it what
the seeds produced.  We will see how they grow, 




No comments:

Post a Comment