Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Brugmansia/Datura/Iochroma Update

I have had several folks ask me to update
this post due to the old one was one of
our earlier posts.  Alot has gone on since
that post and folks have asked for my secrets
when growing them.

It has been a passion to learn about these
lovely ladies of the night and if you don't
have this passion it makes it hard to
understand them.

With that stated, every gardener is
different and when you see what one
person does with them it can take
your breath away.

I hope get to this soon as we hit
the busy season it might be awhile.
I tend to disappear as I spend most of my day
outside.

As some of you know I have joined a couple
FB groups and ya know I just try to help the
new folks as much as I can but it's getting to
the point, I truly understand why folks don't
help others.   I swore when I started growing
these lovely ladies of the night I would try to
help others as it was a total pain to get information
that could be helpful.  I had a couple folks that
stepped up and with their push I was able to
make sense of their growing habits.  The key
that one gave me it to watch and learn.  The more
you watch them the more your will learn.  You
need to figure out what they are telling you.  No
on lives in the perfect environment that these live
in naturally unless you live in that area.  So to
have them adapt to the conditions you have and
to get them to bloom can be a challenge.

A lot has changed since when we started and some
of the rules have changed but there are some rules
that were passed along that should be used first. 
Don't grab the harsh chemicals to treat your Brugs
before trying some simple treatments first.  Pay
attention and daily look them over. These plants
are not the easiest to care for so know what you are
dealing with up front.  They carry a virus that you want
to stay dormant or you will see them go down hill
fast.  So always clean your tools.   If you don't the
virus will spread like wildfire.  Know what disease
that these are acceptable to.  Keep some cousins at
distance as they say this will help keep the virus at
bay.  Yes, this virus can take out a collection and you
won't be able to grow them at a later date.  I have seen
and heard of this happening.

These are trees and shrubs, so their growing conditions
should be in the ground or in pots.  NO Hanging Baskets!!
Yes, you heard that right!  Nurseries will do just about anything
to sell a plant.  But common sense is do you see them in the
wild in hanging baskets?  Do what is in the best interest
of the species.  If you want a hanging basket find plants that
are suitable for the said hanging basket.   I just shake my head
when I see them and wonder what is wrong with this person.
But again why do folks try this stuff??   Is the money that important
or is the plant important?   It's also like growing several colors
together in one pot, please each color has a different growing
condition so do you honestly think it's going to work?   Do you
know how much work it takes to make this work in one pot and
what happens when one plant dies?  I'll tell you it's not a pretty
picture.   I did this to prove a point and it's more work than the
average person can handle. 

The main key here is to keep the Brugmansia healthy!  Know the
growing conditions, don't over feed them!!  I know you have heard
that you can't over feed them, wrong!!  You can push them to death!!
My general rule that I tell folks is fertilize them on Sunday, which is
easy for some to remember.   So many times I hear I have seen
what you do but can't get ours to do it.   I have had years of experience
with them and these are new to you? 

Growing from seeds, is the best way to learn.  That way you can see
how they grow.  Slowly bump up the pots once the roots come out the
bottom.  Also we do not push new seedlings until they are a year old.
This makes for a better plant.  Also growing by seed, you can then name
them!!  Warning, give them a number while you grow.  Record how they
grow and keep track of what you do.  Also keep track of the Hybridizer and
what crosses were made if you plan to register.  You are the Brug Parent, some
will ask you to test the seeds and you have the information to pass back to the
hybridizer.  If you purchased the seeds their is few conditions that the hybridizer
can request of you. 

But so many folks want that instant 'Pretty' and then
loose interest.  These need care to grow into gentle giants that you can
stand up under and enjoy the blooms as you look upwards.  So many folks
just toss them after the one growing season.  Which is so sad! 

You must be patient with plants, they grow when they are cared for.  Don't
put them in huge pots until they are ready.  These ladies love to be root bound
and save your backs.  I have had some in 5 gallon pots for years.  Yes you can
shave off roots it they get to root bound and they will love you for it, if done
right.  We also keep our in pickle buckets for a reason, easy to put on a dolly
to move and easy to store. 

Again I have walked away from the groups, just find I'm way to busy and need
to spend time with the plants.  Just got to do what I enjoy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment