Monday, May 11, 2020

High Winds 5/8/2020

Well again we are cleaning up the yard!  On the 7th I thought I would tidy up the yard so I could
enjoy the yard on Mother's Day.  For the past few weeks we have been picking up the maple seeds
that have come down from the trees to the north of us.  You see we don't want that stuff in our yard
and sprouting.  Let alone the issues they bring when they fall.  They can't be vac up, they have to be
picked up by hand!  So on Thursday I have them all picked up and the yard was looking so good.

DH had that Friday off to make sure when I got up on the roof that I didn't fall.  I just got it cleaned
and was putting the ladder away when the wind picked up.  All we could do was watch more maple seedlings fall and the neighbor's to the east fir junk come down and cover the whole yard!  No joke!!
Up over the house to the veggie garden area all the way back to the strawberry beds.   All the way to the west fence and cover the hostas!  I had to sweep off the deck 5 times and everything was covered.

DH was set to fix the few boards on the deck that were getting back and he said he was pelted.   All he could do when he was done was put a tarp over the new boards.  He had hoped to stain the boards
so they wouldn't warp.  He had to wait until late Sat. when the stuff kind of stopped falling to stain the boards.

5/11/2020, still sweeping junk off the deck and today was my day to vac up what I could.  I have pots on the driveway to clean out and vac the bed that have areas that are covered.    As of today I still have 8 more areas to vac up but will have to pick up Maple seedlings before I pick up the fir junk.

I remember last year it took 2 weeks to clean up the whole yard!   I think the photos show you just how bad it gets here.


























The sad thing is I had folks show up looking 
for plants and all I could was apologize for the 
huge mess.  How can one sell plants when the
gardens are a pit??  They were very understanding
and had seen the gardens last fall.   Glad I could 
help them with Brugmansia plants!

5/12/2020

Again today we had rain, cooler temps and
high winds.  You know what I'll be doing if 
it's not raining.   I have fir crap all over the 
yard again!!  I was able to get the two Azaleas 
by the driveway cut back and in the recycle bin.
Have 2 more to go!! 

5/14/2020

Just have the large Hosta bed to the west to cleanup
and finish cutting back the last couple Azealeas.  I started
the one yesterday but the rain decided it was time for me
to go in.  So I potted up the newest brug seedlings, looking 
forward to seeing them bloom.

5/20/2020

Yet again we had another storm roll in with winds from the
west and the 80 footers started dropping their junk, so again
this am I'm out sweeping off the deck, around the rainbarrels
and Heat pump.  I no more than got the maple seeds picked up
than we got the shower that the weather folks promised.  Not
one but several!!  I will have to wait until it dries up to vac up
the mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment